- The European Food Safety Authority orders review in to the research, conducted at a French university
Russia’s decision could be followed by other nations
- Experts at the University of Caen conducted an experiment running for the full lives of rats – two years
- The findings found raised levels of breast cancer, liver and kidney damage
- The same trials also found minuscule amounts of a commonly used weedkiller, Roundup
- Both the GM corn and Roundup are the creation of US biotech company Monsanto
Russia has suspended the import and use of an American GM corn following a study suggesting a link to breast cancer and organ damage.
Separately, the European Food Safety Authority(EFSA), has ordered its own review in to the research, which was conducted at a French university.
The decision by Russia could be followed by other nations in what would be a severe blow to the take-up of the controversial technology.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208452/Russia-suspends-import-use-American-GM-corn-study-revealed-cancer-risk.html